1. IF THE HISTORY OF EARTH WERE COMPRESSED TO A SINGLE YEAR, MODERN HUMANS WOULD APPEAR ON DECEMBER 31ST AT ABOUT 11:00PM.
The human race has ‘dominated’ Earth for only 0.004% of the planets history. Check out The Cosmic Timeline
2. THERE WAS MORE TIME BETWEEN THE STEGOSAURUS AND THE TYRANNOSAURUS REX THAN BETWEEN THE TYRANNOSAURUS REX AND YOU.
The Stegosaurus lived ~150 million years ago, while the T-Rex lived only ~65 million years ago. Practically yesterday.
3. THE FIRST PYRAMIDS WERE BUILT WHILE THE WOOLLY MAMMOTH WAS STILL ALIVE.
While most mammoths died out 10,000 years ago, a small populations survived until 1650 BC. By that point, Egypt was halfway through its empire, and the Giza Pyramids were already 1000 years old.
4. CLEOPATRA LIVED CLOSER TO THE BUILDING OF BURJ KHALIFA THAN THE PYRAMIDS.
The Great Pyramid was built around 2560 BC, while Cleopatra lived around 30 BC. The Burj Khalifa officially opened on 4 January 2010, which is about 500 years closer.
5. BETTY WHITE IS OLDER THAN SLICED BREAD.
Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented sliced bread in 1928, while Betty White was born in 1922. Bread had existed prior, just not in the pre-sliced form.
6. HARVARD UNIVERSITY WAS FOUNDED BEFORE THERE WAS EVEN CALCULUS.
Harvard is the oldest higher education institution in the US, founded in 1636. Calculus wasn’t derived until later in the 17th century, with the work of Gottfried Leibniz and Isaac Newton.
7. THE FAX MACHINE WAS INVENTED THE SAME YEAR PEOPLE WERE TRAVELING THE OREGON TRAIL.
The first fax machine was developed by Alexander Bain in 1843, meanwhile The Great Migration began across America.
8. THE JEWELRY COMPANY TIFFANY & CO. HAS BEEN AROUND LONGER THAN ITALY.
Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young founded Tiffany & Young in 1837, while Italy didn’t become a country until 1861.
9. WHEN WARNER BROTHERS FORMED, THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE WAS STILL A THING.
Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack Warner opened their first theater, the Cascade, in New Castle, Pennsylvania in 1903. Meanwhile, the Ottoman Empire spanned from 1299 to 1923, when Turkey became an independent nation.
10. TURN YOUR TV TO A DEAD STATION, AND ~1% OF THE STATIC IS LEFT OVER RADIATION FROM THE BIG BANG.
You are literally witnessing the aftermath of the creation of the universe.
11. OXFORD UNIVERSITY IS OLDER THAN AZTEC CIVILIZATION.
Teaching started in Oxford as early as 1096 and by 1249 the University was open. The Aztec civilization as we know it began with the founding of Tenochtitlán in 1325.
12. FRANCE WAS STILL EXECUTING PEOPLE BY GUILLOTINE WHEN STAR WARS CAME OUT
Star Wars premiered in theaters in May 1977. The last execution by guillotine took place September 10th of the same year.
adapted from bromygod
Fabio Evagelista is a Brazilian writer.
Crossed Paths is the first book of the Myra-Hati trilogy, an epic adventure in a post-apocalyptic world, for the lovers of sci-fi / fantasy genre. This is the author’s first work published in America.